There must justice for all or there is justice for no one.

Friday, September 29, 2023

POETIC REDISCOVERY

 Back in my university days I was fascinated with the style of Haiku poetry. Even tried my hand a time or two. I came up on a single leaf  that appeared to be frozen in the mid air over the bike path. It was hanging by a single thread of spider silk. It was a windless, cloudy Novenmber day. It was just hanging there. Wish I could remember because Haiku are very much of the moment and that moment was a lifetime ago.

Picked up a daily reader of one Haiku per day through the year. Glad I picked the kindle edition because this isn't just one poem a day. It's one poem per page. Oh well. Anyway I started reading and the next thing I knew I was rewriting the blessed thing. 

Book's haiku

Snowy woodland stream

Outer banks encased in ice

Center swift and mean

 

My haiku

Dark snowy branches

Hanging over icy stream

Between frozen banks

IMHO or not humble. The first one says too much. The traditional poems I’ve read imply more than they say. It’s cold enough for snow and ice. If the stream isn’t frozen it’s because it’s moving too fast. I just started the book, a haiku a day sort of meditation. Hate to say it, but these folks probably spend most of their time in the city.

My physical world may be smaller now but I have a lifetime of memories. Pacific beaches (this part of the country we go to the coast not the beach because you never know what you’ll find when you get there), the little valley where I grew up, mountains, waterfalls, the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment